Computer heat and its monitoring
This post is also available in : Spanish
Computer Heat; Read some Important Facts here!
Everything has to work at the right temperature. Everything! Or would you be able to work at 70ºC?
Our computers too. Although they are capable of withstanding higher temperatures than us – humans – computers also have an optimal temperature range for operation and, if they fall outside this range, problems can begin to appear.
Do you want to know how the temperature affects a computer and the causes? Do you want to prevent your devices from becoming a bakery? In this article we will look at some of the causes and consequences of a high temperature, and also talk a little about something as important as computer heat.
How does temperature affect a computer?
Whether you manage a lot of devices or just operate one or two computers, knowing the importance of maintaining the right temperature can be key to keeping your device in good condition.
Computer heat can cause multiple damages. For example:
- It can physically damage some components, causing breakdowns.
- It can cause performance losses, for example by causing a slowdown in the execution of applications.
- It can cause restarts and even damage so severe that they render the equipment unusable, with all the consequences that this can entail.
What causes an increase in the temperature of a computer?
In a computer work various components that can raise the temperature by its own operation, from the CPU to the power supply, through graphics cards or hard disk, are elements whose normal operation produces computer heat.
Therefore, the reasons why a computer can reach an excessive temperature can be multiple. These would be some of the possible causes:
- The devices are not well placed: if they are placed in places where there is excessive dust or dirt, direct sunlight or other sources of computer heat we will be putting our computers in serious difficulties.
- The device is not clean: it is not only the external cleaning (which also) but, above all, the internal cleaning. Computers tend to accumulate dust and this can cause various problems, for example by malfunctioning internal fans or hindering the circulation of air inside, which will affect cooling.
- The device has not been installed correctly: for example, a poorly structured rack may cause heat to not dissipate properly and the temperature to rise.
- The places in which they are found do not maintain a stable temperature: you know, the temperature tends to go down in winter and up in summer. The ambient temperature is also an important factor, so care must be taken to ensure that it is adequate in the rooms in which the device is located.
- We demand excessive performance from devices: running at a slow trot doesn’t cause the same flushing as sprinting, does it? Even if they are not human beings, our computers also overheat more when the effort you demand of them is excessive, so you’ll have to be careful not to ask too much of them.
- The cooling elements don’t work or don’t work properly: it’s a classic. Our long-suffering internal fans often break down or dirt does not allow them to function properly. In this section would also enter other problems, such as those related to thermal paste. Thermal paste is an element that facilitates the dissipation of heat produced by components such as the CPU, GPU, or chipset. Occasionally, a poorly applied or deteriorated thermal paste may fail to do its job and cause the temperature to rise.
- There are one or more defective components: in this situation, these components can raise the overall temperature and lead to faults in themselves and other components.
- The cooling elements are not well configured: this occurs, for example, when a fan is rotating at low speed. It will be easy to fix it, increasing the rotation frequency, but you have to do it!
As you can see, a computer can see its temperature elevated for many different reasons (the ones we have mentioned are only a few) and get involved in many problems. And the problems it suffers can make you the one who ends up suffering a lot!
Are your devices fundamental to the smooth running of your business or organization? Nowadays, this is very common: many companies depend on the good state of their IT infrastructure. That’s why monitoring tools have become so important in recent years. That’s why it’s so necessary for you to know Pandora FMS.
Pandora FMS is a flexible monitoring software, capable of monitoring devices, infrastructures, applications, services and business processes.
For example, Pandora FMS can monitor the CPU temperature, as we can see in this great article: https://blog.pandorafms.org/cpu-temperature/
Do you want to know much better what Pandora FMS can offer you? Go here: https://pandorafms.com/
Nowadays, many companies and organizations around the world already have Pandora FMS. Do you want to know some of our clients and read some of our success stories? Check it out: https://pandorafms.com/pandora-customers/
Or you can also send us any query you have about Pandora FMS. You can do this in a very simple way, thanks to the contact form that can be found at the following address: https://pandorafms.com/contact/
Our Pandora FMS team will be happy to assist you!
El equipo de redacción de Pandora FMS está formado por un conjunto de escritores y profesionales de las TI con una cosa en común: su pasión por la monitorización de sistemas informáticos.
Pandora FMS’s editorial team is made up of a group of writers and IT professionals with one thing in common: their passion for computer system monitoring.