Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to collect Internet speed test results from 40+ remote sites
Greetings,
I'm testing out Pandora FMS and my company wants to gather Internet speed test data from about 45 different sites spread all across Africa.  The sites have a variety of Internet connections and we (the corporate IT dept) do not manage the hardware at these sites.  If we did then I'd deploy Netflow probes on Raspberry Pi's or some other tool.  But we will not be able to gather SNMP data from any of these sites.  :-(

Does there already exist an agent script to run a CLI version of Speedtest to capture that data and feed it back to Pandora FMS?  The company wants to spend money to increase speeds but we have no accurate measurements yet, so the first step is to determine where more bandwidth is needed most.  Asking users at these sites to regularly run Speedtest or some other tool manually and email us the results would not work (they might do it once if at all, and then never again.)

I'd like to send out Raspberry Pis to the sites (many have poor power / some run on solar) so a low power solution is best.  And run some type of script with an agent to pump data back to Pandora FMS.  Just wondering if someone can point me to a solution that has already been built, which I can modify as needed, rather than starting from scratch.

The company also wants ongoing reports, not just a one-time thing, so it is worth the time investment to get something set up.  Also some locations might just have multiple users with 3G modems on their computers - literally, it's a better connection than the local "ISP" can provide.  So for them I'd try to set up a Windows Agent on their computer which could also run a periodic speed test (maybe once every few hours) in the background.

I know this is VERY different from the normal corporate setup that most people are using Pandora FMS for.  Our company is an NGO which works in some of the most remote places on the earth - and therefore Internet and power is a challenge in these remote offices.

Thanks!
Hi CyberSpuds,

You can create a module_plugin in each remote agent with this execution:
Code:
curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python - | awk '/Download:|Upload:/ {print "<module>\n<name>"$1" Speed</name>\n<type>generic_data</type>\n<data>"$(NF-1)"</data>\n<unit>"$NF"</unit>\n</module>\n"}'

It will return 2 modules, first the download and then the upload.

Best regards,

vic.
(11-14-2017, 04:44 PM)vic Wrote: Hi CyberSpuds,

You can create a module_plugin in each remote agent with this execution:
Code:
curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python - | awk '/Download:|Upload:/ {print "<module>\n<name>"$1" Speed</name>\n<type>generic_data</type>\n<data>"$(NF-1)"</data>\n<unit>"$NF"</unit>\n</module>\n"}'

It will return 2 modules, first the download and then the upload.

Best regards,

vic.

That's awesome Vic, I'll give that a try.  This speedtest-cli was what I was looking at, so thanks for the syntax to get going!