Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alerts no longer firing
I've setup PandoraFMS with some ICMP, resource monitoring and service monitoring modules and alerts to send emails when the modules go into a critical state.  I've noticed that I'm no longer receiving any email alerts from Pandora when the modules go into a critical state.  I suspect that is because the alerts are no longer "firing" in the system.

For example, in my attached image, the module that I've attached the alert to is in a critical state, however, the alert status is still set to normal, so it is not firing the alert.  I've verified that emails are successfully sending by forcing the alert. 

I've also noticed in the agents view, the default pandorafms agent is showing last contact as 2 months ago (See second attached image).  I've been trying to find some information as to what this means or if this agent and it's modules are important to the function of the server's monitoring, but have had no luck.

Anyone have any ideas what I could have set wrong? 

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Ryan

Attached Files

.png   agents.png (Size: 35.5 KB / Downloads: 1)
.png   alert.png (Size: 22.33 KB / Downloads: 1)
(09-25-2018, 07:08 PM)OECRBJFK Wrote: I've setup PandoraFMS with some ICMP, resource monitoring and service monitoring modules and alerts to send emails when the modules go into a critical state.  I've noticed that I'm no longer receiving any email alerts from Pandora when the modules go into a critical state.  I suspect that is because the alerts are no longer "firing" in the system.

For example, in my attached image, the module that I've attached the alert to is in a critical state, however, the alert status is still set to normal, so it is not firing the alert.  I've verified that emails are successfully sending by forcing the alert. 

I've also noticed in the agents view, the default pandorafms agent is showing last contact as 2 months ago (See second attached image).  I've been trying to find some information as to what this means or if this agent and it's modules are important to the function of the server's monitoring, but have had no luck.

Best regards,
Ryan

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Firstly, concerning to the agent that has no data for the last 2 months, have you changed the name of the agent/server recently? If you have done this, the new name would have been created and the old one stays still in the view but does not generate any information.

Since when did you not receive any alerts?? Did you change the "mta" information of the server conf? Can you send us your conf so we can see where the error can be?

Alberto
(09-26-2018, 09:15 AM)alberto.sanchez Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 07:08 PM)OECRBJFK Wrote: I've setup PandoraFMS with some ICMP, resource monitoring and service monitoring modules and alerts to send emails when the modules go into a critical state.  I've noticed that I'm no longer receiving any email alerts from Pandora when the modules go into a critical state.  I suspect that is because the alerts are no longer "firing" in the system.

Best regards,
Ryan

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Firstly, concerning to the agent that has no data for the last 2 months, have you changed the name of the agent/server recently? If you have done this, the new name would have been created and the old one stays still in the view but does not generate any information.

Since when did you not receive any alerts?? Did you change the "mta" information of the server conf? Can you send us your conf so we can see where the error can be?

Alberto

Thanks for the reply,

Ah, I see.  Yes I had renamed the server a bit after deploying it.  In that case, I'll remove the old instance.

I can't really say when exactly the email reporting stopped.  I had logged into the pandora web GUI and noticed there were some alerts on the server I mentioned, which included disk space usage alerts and there were alerts for stopped services on the even list in the agent view, however, I'd never received any email alerts.  I've even setup a test icmp ping module for a machine that I put offline, and no alerts are coming in through email.

No changes were made to the mta information and we have verified that emails can be generated out of the system by forcing an alert from the agent view on the web GUI.  I'm just seeing that the alerts are never being placed into a critical state to fire an alert to trigger the email.  They all are staying as "Normal" even though the module states are the alerts are attached to have critical states.

I've attached the pandora server's config file (I put xxx's where the mta information is, since this is private information) as well as the agent configuration file on one of the Windows servers that we're monitoring if that helps.  I had to change to file extension to .txt since this page won't accept .conf files. 

Thank you in advance for any help you can give on this.

Attached Files

.txt   pandora_server.txt (Size: 17.5 KB / Downloads: 2)
.txt   pandora_agent.txt (Size: 24.04 KB / Downloads: 1)
(09-28-2018, 02:11 PM)OECRBJFK Wrote:

Best regards,
Ryan

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Alberto

Thanks for the reply,

Ah, I see.  Yes I had renamed the server a bit after deploying it.  In that case, I'll remove the old instance.

I can't really say when exactly the email reporting stopped.  I had logged into the pandora web GUI and noticed there were some alerts on the server I mentioned, which included disk space usage alerts and there were alerts for stopped services on the even list in the agent view, however, I'd never received any email alerts.  I've even setup a test icmp ping module for a machine that I put offline, and no alerts are coming in through email.

No changes were made to the mta information and we have verified that emails can be generated out of the system by forcing an alert from the agent view on the web GUI.  I'm just seeing that the alerts are never being placed into a critical state to fire an alert to trigger the email.  They all are staying as "Normal" even though the module states are the alerts are attached to have critical states.

I've attached the pandora server's config file (I put xxx's where the mta information is, since this is private information) as well as the agent configuration file on one of the Windows servers that we're monitoring if that helps.  I had to change to file extension to .txt since this page won't accept .conf files. 

Good morning OECRBJFK,

We can see that plenty of information of the agent disappeared, so it would be nice yo reinstall the agent again to see if thats the problem.

In the alert, have you filed the parameters of the action with the needed data?

This alert send an email using internal Server SMTP capabilities (defined in each server, using:

_field1_ as destination email address, and
_field2_ as subject for message.
_field3_ as text of message.
_field4_ as content type (plain/text or html/text).

Best regards,

Alberto
(10-01-2018, 08:48 AM)alberto.sanchez Wrote:

Best regards,
Ryan

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Alberto

Thanks for the reply,

Good morning OECRBJFK,

We can see that plenty of information of the agent disappeared, so it would be nice yo reinstall the agent again to see if thats the problem.

This alert send an email using internal Server SMTP capabilities (defined in each server, using:

Best regards,

Alberto

I apologize for my late reply to your response.

I have tested reinstalling the agent one of the severs that we're monitoring with the ICMP checks that are in a critical state.  The  modules are again showing in a critical state, however, the alerts are not being fired to send an email.
I have verified that there is data in the fields mentioned.

I have also verified that there is information in the fields you mention in your previous response.

The issue is still present at this point.

Thank you Alberto.
(10-08-2018, 04:11 PM)OECRBJFK Wrote:

Best regards,
Ryan

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Alberto

Thanks for the reply,

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Best regards,

Alberto

I have tested reinstalling the agent one of the severs that we're monitoring with the ICMP checks that are in a critical state.  The  modules are again showing in a critical state, however, the alerts are not being fired to send an email.

I have also verified that there is information in the fields you mention in your previous response.

Thank you Alberto.

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Did you had any changes on your firewall, iptables or SELINUX?¿ One of these three can be blocking the alerts send of mail from your pandora service.

Alberto
(10-09-2018, 08:11 AM)alberto.sanchez Wrote:
(09-26-2018, 09:15 AM)alberto.sanchez Wrote: Good morning OECRBJFK,

Alberto

Thanks for the reply,

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Best regards,

Alberto

Thank you Alberto.

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Did you had any changes on your firewall, iptables or SELINUX?¿ One of these three can be blocking the alerts send of mail from your pandora service.

Alberto

No changes were made to the IP tables.  In fact, I haven't configured them at all.  I'm able to telnet port 25 to the smtp server as well.
(10-09-2018, 01:06 PM)OECRBJFK Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 02:11 PM)OECRBJFK Wrote: Thanks for the reply,

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Best regards,

Alberto

Thank you Alberto.

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Alberto

No changes were made to the IP tables.  In fact, I haven't configured them at all.  I'm able to telnet port 25 to the smtp server as well.

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Can you please try to disable all the existing firewalls and try again?

Alberto
(10-10-2018, 08:25 AM)My alberto.sanchez Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 08:48 AM)alberto.sanchez Wrote: Good morning OECRBJFK,

Best regards,

Alberto

Thank you Alberto.

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Alberto

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Alberto

This is definitely not a firewall issue.  My company sends hundreds of emails out port 25 all day, and the linux server as I mentioned is able to send emails out if I force them through the Pandora web interface, however, the alerts are not being triggered by the modules when in the critical state.  I am also able to telnet to port 25 on the linux server to our SMTP server that we've configured for the email alerts.
(10-10-2018, 01:49 PM)OECRBJFK Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 08:25 AM)My alberto.sanchez Wrote:
(10-08-2018, 04:11 PM)OECRBJFK Wrote: I apologize for my late reply to your response.

Thank you Alberto.

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Alberto

Good morning OECRBJFK,

Alberto

This is definitely not a firewall issue.  My company sends hundreds of emails out port 25 all day, and the linux server as I mentioned is able to send emails out if I force them through the Pandora web interface, however, the alerts are not being triggered by the modules when in the critical state.  I am also able to telnet to port 25 on the linux server to our SMTP server that we've configured for the email alerts.

Good morning OECRBJFK,

We will try to replicate the alert system to try to get a solution for your problem because we don't know what more to do.

Alberto