Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unreachability and notifications to many
Thank you for your reply.

About notifications I mean that best solution is to group actions in one group. For example I have a group "notify-administrators" and then I have attached all my notifications to that group. So if we hire another person I can modify one place. It is not flexible current way. About default actions for alert template - fine, but I can't add multiple default actions for a alert template or am I missing something?

For example - we hired another person few months ago. I added another "contact" item and then added that contact to "contactgroup" item named "administrator" and then restarted nagios and that was all.

Now if I want to do it in Pandora - but not for every monitored host, but only for switches and servers (I have a such setting in nagios so administrators don't get not very important messages about DSL) - how to do it?

What if that person leaves us? How to remove him from notifications? In nagios same path - remove from contagrroup and remove from contacts then restart nagios.

===

About correlation between hosts. I have a quite simple network architecture. Switch X have usally two alternative paths to some "middle" core switches and those middle switches are connected to main switch. Something like this. X has parent C and D. C has parent B and D has parent A. For A and B both parents are the same - core switch. Something like this:
Code:
+------ A ------ C -----+
CORE                           X
    +------ B ------ D -----+

I hope it shows properly. So in that case if:

- everything is UP (I mean CORE, A, B, C, D) and X is down it means that it is state DOWN
- everything is UP and X is up then it is in state UP
- A and C are down and also X is down - it should be in state DOWN, because clearly something is wrong with that switch because it has alternative path via D
- A, B, C, D are down and also X is down - it should be in state UNREACHABLE (it has both its parents down so we assume it is the reason)
- A, B, C, D are down and X is up - it means that those down switches have something wrong with their administration (for example misconfigured vlan 1), but in that situation X should be in state UP
- A, B are down, C and D are up, x is UP - it should be in state UP (same situation as earlier)
- A, B are down, C and D are up, x is DOWN - it should be in state DOWN
- A, B are up, C, D and X are down - it should be in state UNREACHABLE

So to put it in simple words - if every parent of host X is in state DOWN or UNREACHABLE and X is down then it means it is UNREACHABLE.
If at least one parent of host X is in state UP and host X is down then it means that it is DOWN

That's it. It always worked for me that way and if anybody have some more complicated situations - for example webapp depends on router and also on service "proxy" on other server then you can add manual correlation between services.

So it would be great if there was another state of a host - UNREACHABLE and person who uses Pandora would decide how to treat that state - as unreachable or as down. It would make Pandora way more flexible.

Thanks!
Messages In This Thread
Unreachability and notifications to many - by alchemyx - 08-31-2009, 11:29 PM