WHAT’S NEW Pandora FMS 745
WHAT’S NEW Pandora FMS 745
If we had to give a name to this release, we would definitely call it WUX 3.0, or the Great User Experience Monitoring Development, with visual enhancements but particularly with the session recorder replacement, which now supports the latest Selenium versions.
This version contains new dashboards for enterprise users now also available for all Community version users. We have changed the way Pandora FMS scans network elements and now Discovery is smarter and discovers many more elements automatically. Improvements on log monitoring entail much more capacity and speed when obtaining data.
Likewise, we want to offer all our support and encouragement to those who have been affected by the COVID-19 situation. This is the perfect time to test one’s infrastructure for remote working, making monitoring become a key element.
NEW FEATURES AND DEVELOPMENTS
More powerful User Experience Monitoring (WUX)
In this 745 release, WUX monitoring has been updated to the latest Selenium 3 versions. You may now use the official Selenium IDE extension for Chrome or Firefox and use all the new screenshot methods it enables.
Well, that’s not everything: the view of the transactions performed through the WUX process has also been enhanced, making it much more user-friendly.
New dashboards have been added, which are easier to create, edit and customize. In addition, they can be used as custom screens for each user, who will have the possibility to create their own views including maps, events, visual console views or tree views, among others.
The new dashboards will allow you to set the visual consoles and other components in slideshow mode, through which the screens will automatically rotate on the monitor. With this change, the previous dashboards will have to be reconfigured as they could be unsettled.
New detection mode for hosts in Discovery
A new network scanning mode has been added to the recognition system, and default templates have been incorporated to remotely detect and monitor applications, databases and a large number of network computers.
Once scanning is finished through the recognition task, Pandora FMS will display the results obtained and then all the elements found can be validated.
Monitor and agent total time in the same state
There is a new feature by means of which you can see for how long a monitor and an agent have been in the same state within the different Pandora FMS views: agent monitor, tree or detail monitor views.
Improved log collection
The Pandora FMS log collecting tool integrated with ElasticSearch has been improved so that it can be hosted in large environments with multiple nodes.
Log searches, database queries for their collecting and cache usage have also been optimized for log view exportation. In addition, logstash has been removed, thus reducing the number of dependencies.
For this update, we have kept working on improving alert correlation: adding drop-downs to validations to make them more intuitive and new text fields to elaborate more complex checks, among other optimizations.
Event creation when triggering alerts
Event creation has been optimized so that they may optionally not be generated in alert execution. This little change will help environment performance through much more simple alerting. This improvement is applied to normal alerts, alert correlation and SNMP alerts.
-A new interval field has been added to the group report, so that it can be applied to variable time reports.
-Usability improvements have been implemented in the module editor. Some advanced fields have been relocated within the feature but continue to work the same.
-New improved bar charts that offer more information and are visually more enjoyable.
-New filters in several important views: group filter in alert list, and alert filter in agent view.
-AWS monitoring improvements – Machines remove themselves from monitoring when AWS checks them as finished. Default thresholds on auto-detected instances, and areas without instances are now ignored to avoid displaying additional information.
-New agent auto discovery scripts, so that it will show the states of the services and subservices by default if they are present on the device of the following elements:
- Active Directory
- Updated the version of the eHorus client for the Pandora FMS console that solves connectivity problems.
- Fixed a bug that prevented deleting tasks within Discovery.
- Fixed an error when running SNMP v3 modules when the password contained the “@” character.
- Fixed a bug in the Tentacle process that caused excessive memory usage on Pandora FMS server.
- Fixed an issue that caused erroneous behavior when performing actions in the event view.
- Fixed a user permission failure in the Metaconsole that prevented users from performing certain actions, despite having the appropriate permissions.
- Fixed bug where trap storm protection with SNMP v2 did not work.
- Fixed an error when starting modules with the AWS task in instances of areas outside the default one.
- Fixed the problem by which in Metaconsole SQL reports, the query was made in the first instantiated node instead of the Metaconsole.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the display of monthly SLA reports containing past months.
- Fixed a bug in log-type modules in Windows operating system.
- Fixed a bug that prevented deploying Windows agents when the server was installed on a Linux machine.
We thank Fernando Catoira and Julio Sánchez from Core Security Consulting Services who reported a vulnerability fixed in this update. All the process was coordinated together with Pablo Zurro from Core Advisories Team.