There are so many diverse and distinct IT infrastructures, different business needs, and various levels of monitoring oversight requirements, that today not every monitoring system can meet the demand. From the beginnings of monitoring practices until now there has been a certain stability in terms of what was expected of a monitoring tool, but the explosion of new technologies and the impulse of new demands from business managers have changed the expectations put on data, and creating a space for a new vision of monitoring.
Pandora FMS represents a new focus, oriented toward the new data demands, and aimed at large companies, without forgetting SMEs either.
Below you can see a graph showing the evolution of monitoring systems from 2000 to 2014:
Once a company reaches a certain size it’s necessary to formalize some departments and positions and you’re going to find a CEO, a CIO and a CFO. This latter is the one who takes decisions regarding the company’s capital, how to invest it, where to spend it, where to get more, and the overall financial plan for the company’s future.
The CFO works always with two concepts in mind: “costs and investments”, and is almost exclusively interested in saving costs, increasing profits and making improvements when financially reasonable or necessary.
Within the monitoring sector there are tools for all budgets; the important initial criteria are the CFO’s objectives:
– Cost savings: do more with less. Monitoring isn’t free (except when it is, but keep in mind, buy cheap, buy twice) and analyzing the pros and cons of investing in a monitoring system, or any other IT infrastructure, is necessary, as there are alternatives, such as Open and free-license monitoring tools, outsourcing to a third-party or a Cloud system
On the other hand there is the CIO, who works under the financial obligation to justify every cent spent on IT. For this position, Pandora FMS can be an invaluable support when it comes to answering the following questions:
- Are we getting all we can out of our IT resources?
- Are we getting the service we pay for?
- Are we complying with our SLAs?
– Improving your business operations: Regarding the second point, how can you improve your business by getting the most out of your IT systems? Pandora FMS can help in the decision-making process by supplying monitoring feedback on your business processes, monitor your KPIs and presenting the data simply and clearly and in real time. All this makes managing your organization easier and can provide significant cost reductions.
To sum up, the only constant, as always, is change, and technology is on an exponential curve on its way to who knows where? As networks get more complex, it creates more demand from business for a tool that can disentangle so many products, keep different protocols working together, avoid predictable upsets, reduce costs and improve your business. Prevention is always better than cure and if you don’t think so, ask British Airways.
About Pandora FMS
Pandora FMS is a flexible monitoring system, capable of monitoring devices, infrastructures, applications, services and business processes.
Of course, one of the things that Pandora FMS can control is the hard disks of your computers.
Would you like to know more about what Pandora FMS can offer you? Discover it by entering here: https://pandorafms.com
If you have more than 100 devices to monitor, you can contact us through the following form: https://pandorafms.com/en/contact/
Also, remember that if your monitoring needs are more limited you have at your disposal the OpenSource version of Pandora FMS. Find more information here: https://pandorafms.org
Do not hesitate to send us your queries. The Pandora FMS team will be happy to assist you!
El equipo de redacción de Pandora FMS está formado por un conjunto de escritores y profesionales de las TI con una cosa en común: su pasión por la monitorización de sistemas informáticos.
Pandora FMS’s editorial team is made up of a group of writers and IT professionals with one thing in common: their passion for computer system monitoring.