New alert details view
This post is also available in : Spanish
The alert configuration in Pandora FMS can be a headache due the necessary complexity to satisfy all the needs.
You need to configure different components: the commands that will be executed in the alerts with certain parameters, the actions that will parametrize these commands, and the templates that will contain the conditions under the alert will be fired and default parameters for the associated actions. Then associate a template and desired actions to a module and wait that everything fits.
You must take into account a lot of configurations in different screens that will be synchronized each other but, until now, wasn’t possible take a global view of all of this values.
With the new alert’s details screen, you can see everything that you need of an alert in the same screen:
- General details as agent, module, template, last time fired or status of the alert.
- Firing conditions as the main condition to be fired (i.e. when the module falls in critical status), the days of the week and hours of the day when the alert will be fired, the time threshold where the alert will be fired once or the number of times that the condition must be occurs to be fired.
- Escalation of the associated actions: When each action will be executed.
i.e. First three times that the alert is fired.
- Firing and recovering parameterization: The value of the fields that the command will execute with each action being explained where are taken from.
i.e. The template have a default subject to send an email, but the used action have another subject that override the template’s one.
- Preview of the executed command:
i.e. /scripts/smssend ‘alert fired in module MOD1’ ‘555123456’
We’re created an alert on a simple ping to a host. When the ping fails, this monitor will fall into critical status and the alert will be fired.
The alert will be fired from Monday to Friday, from 8:00 to 18:00. And it will do it when the condition happen 1st time until 10th.
We’re associated 3 actions to the alert:
- Write a Log: Only the first alert firing.
- Send an email to the support department: From 2nd to 4th times that the alert is fired.
- Send an email to the system’s chief: Every time from the 5th time that the alert is fired.
The main view of this alert is the following:
Also selecting each action, its fields execution will be showed for the firing and recovering (if recover mode is enabled).
The firing fields are showed in three columns: Template fields, Action fields and Executing fields. In this table we can see which fields are overriding other fields and which ones are actually being passed to the command to the execution when alert is fired.
The recovering fields are showed in three columns: Firing fields (the third column of the previous view), Template fields (The recovery fields configured on template) and Executing fields. In this table we can see which fields are overriding other fields and which ones are actually being executing when alert is recovered.
Under the firing/recovering fields table, will be showed the preview of the execution of the command (When the executed command is not a internal command).
Useful, isn’t? So, it is available since Pandora FMS 5 SP3 :)